SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

Are we there yet?

| posted 02 Dec, 2016 15:00
Is Web Phamerator up and running yet? I am filling out a request for our IT now so our class will be ready to go in January? If not, have there been updates to Phamerator or is last year's version OK? Our students access it through a virtual machine and Phamerator is stored on the University C-drive so they don't each have to download it.
Thanks,
Nancy
| posted 02 Dec, 2016 22:33
I would recommend that you update the VM this year as security updates for the old VM will be stopping sometime in 2017. This is why there is a new SEA VM. The new version uses Ubuntu 14.04 has updates through at least 2019.

Web Phamerator will be available this spring but it is unknown how many features will make it into the final version. It can already make comparison maps and it is quite a bit faster so I will be using it in class ad the default. However, it is unclear how many of the advanced features will make it into the web version this year. For my class I have requested that VM be installed but I did that mostly for back-up (in case the network goes down) and access to advanced features (like access to the complete pham table).
| posted 29 Dec, 2016 22:43
I see that the web phamerator can make maps, and understand that other features are coming. Is there a way to have it access alternate databases that I don't see (like Bacillus phages), of is that one of the not yet ready for prime time features?

Thanks!

steve
| posted 03 Jan, 2017 15:42
Where can we access the Web Phamerator from, I can't seem to see a link anywhere.

Thanks
| posted 10 Jan, 2017 20:52
fogartym1
Where can we access the Web Phamerator from, I can't seem to see a link anywhere.

Thanks
Ditto!!!????

smile
| posted 11 Jan, 2017 01:39
Phamerator.org

You will need to set up an account (using a .edu address).

If I've misssed any details, I'm sure Steve or Vic will fill you in.

Lee
| posted 30 Oct, 2018 23:34
Steven Caruso
I see that the web phamerator can make maps, and understand that other features are coming. Is there a way to have it access alternate databases that I don't see (like Bacillus phages), of is that one of the not yet ready for prime time features?

Thanks!

steve

We went out on a limb this quarter and tried to isolate bacillus phages. It worked, woohoo! However, I didn't think it through, and am just realizing that there isn't phamerator set up for bacillus. Is there a work around, or is this in the works?
Thanks!
Jordan
| posted 27 Nov, 2018 01:06
Is the web site down? A student and I tried opening the site this afternoon–nothing happened. I tried just now (8 pm Monday) and keep getting "502 Bad Gateway".
Thanks. JoAnn
| posted 27 Nov, 2018 01:33
jparker
Steven Caruso

Thanks!

steve

We went out on a limb this quarter and tried to isolate bacillus phages. It worked, woohoo! However, I didn't think it through, and am just realizing that there isn't phamerator set up for bacillus. Is there a work around, or is this in the works?
Thanks!
Jordan

Not that we are aware of yet. We are still using the old fashioned one for Bacillus phages for now, though we eagerly anticipate a web-based version for the students. There is a benefit to having access to the old version, though, if you want to be able to pull pham data for analysis, though, for either family.

Steve

Login to post a reply.