SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

Custom Database - HELP?

| posted 26 Apr, 2016 21:24
Is anyone out there able to add our final annotated sequences to a custom database with all PhagesDB sequences. We would like to do a Phamerator alignment using our finished sequences prior to QC.

If it's not too challenging for someone with a small bit of computer knowledge, please give me some ideas of how to go about doing it. I think it would be handy for the future and future annotators too.

Thanks. Greg
| posted 27 Apr, 2016 01:03
Greg - are you just trying to align with similar phage? You can do that pretty simply by creating a small database and using the web-based tool that was mentioned previously in the forum.

You can also do a similar gene length alignment using DNA Master and the Genome Comparison tool with a few select phages for comparison.

Would either of these accomplish you overall goal? Putting together a custom Phamerator database for all the phages is a pretty large job.

Lee
| posted 27 Apr, 2016 13:46
Thanks Lee. Are you taking about the one mentioned in this thread (which I forgot about)?

http://seaphages.org/forums/topic/104/
| posted 27 Apr, 2016 16:03
Yes - that is it.

It is really good for making small custom databases (I've used it to look at just Streptomyces genomes). I don't think you'd want to use it for a full database though because that would take quite a long time and use a lot of computing resources.

Lee
| posted 27 Apr, 2016 16:05
Lee Hughes
Yes - that is it.

It is really good for making small custom databases (I've used it to look at just Streptomyces genomes). I don't think you'd want to use it for a full database though because that would take quite a long time and use a lot of computing resources.

Lee
Thanks! gf

Login to post a reply.