SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

DNAMaster BLAST failure

| posted 01 Aug, 2022 17:56
I did a whole genome BLASTp within DNAMaster last week - no problem. Today DNAMaster does not seem to connect to NCBI. I have all the right permissions. Anybody else with this issue?
| posted 01 Aug, 2022 20:28
I did a whole genome BLASTp within DNAMaster last week - no problem. Today DNAMaster does not seem to connect to NCBI. I have all the right permissions. Anybody else with this issue?
| posted 02 Aug, 2022 01:07
Veronique,
I just blasted one gene with no issues.
there have been no changes in DNA Master for a while now.
debbie
| posted 10 Sep, 2022 12:52
Veronique,

Did this ever fix for you? It looks like I might be having the same issue. It's almost as if DNA Master just didn't even start sending queries. It stayed at 0% overnight with no progress. Is this what happened for you?

Nikki
| posted 10 Sep, 2022 13:24
Hi Nikki

Yes. It magically started working again the next day (Aug 2). I did nothing different. I also just blasted one gene with no issue! Good luck, V
| posted 10 Sep, 2022 16:30
Hmmmm. I wonder if I'm having this issue. I've tried BLASTing a single gene, and now I get the error "Could not load SSL library."

I'll try the fix below, and let everyone know if it works.

Nikki

hgavin90
DanRussell
Hi Katie,

I think this error is due to not having a certain library installed on the particular version of Windows that's running. That library wasn't required until after the update earlier this year to use secure NCBI servers. I think I came across that error myself, and in my notes I have that I went to the link below and installed the Visual C++ package there, then restarted and it worked.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5555

UPDATE Sep 2021: The link above no longer works, but the file can be found at the link below now. Download it from within Windows and then run it, and make sure you close DNA Master and restart Windows before trying to BLAST again.

https://phagesdb.org/static/vcredist_x86.exe

Hopefully that helps,
–Dan

Nevermind – changing secure connection did not work but this installation recommended by Dann has. Woo!
| posted 10 Sep, 2022 17:36
For anyone that may be helped by this, installing that library worked like a charm!
| posted 30 Apr, 2023 20:08
I am preparing my final files for submission and I re-blasted the entire genome. However, about 9 genes are not blasting within DNA Master. I even just BLASTed the single gene in DNA Master and after 20 minutes…still nothing and it appears to just stop. When I copy the sequence into NCBI BLAST on the website directly, I get hits immediately. I'm not sure why this is happening. I didn't have these issues in January when I BLASTed the entire genome then. Not sure what I should do about this for the final submission files…
Edited 30 Apr, 2023 20:10
| posted 01 May, 2023 12:48
Katie,
I can confirm that that happens. (But I am not recalling the reasons.)
Just note what didn't blast on your cover sheet and submit.
All good!
debbie

Login to post a reply.