SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

Electron Microscopy

| posted 21 Jan, 2022 21:42
Hi
I was wondering if anyone can recommend a place/lab to send our samples for electron microscopy? We haven't been successful in finding a resource yet.
Any help will be highly appreciated.
Thanks
Sangha
| posted 25 Jan, 2022 00:52
sahas
Hi
I was wondering if anyone can recommend a place/lab to send our samples for electron microscopy? We haven't been successful in finding a resource yet.
Thanks
Sangha

Our Core Microscopy Facility has done TEM for the phage course here at the Univ. Nebraska-Lincoln, and neighboring schools (Nebraska Wesleyan also in Lincoln, and Doane Univ. in nearby Crete), so has lots of experience with phage samples. Here is the web site: https://biotech.unl.edu/microscopy with contact info and fees. I don't know how busy the TEM is, but if you find the rates work for your budget, you can check with the Director about their schedule.
Cathy Chia
UNL
| posted 25 Jan, 2022 15:20
Thank you so much, I will certainly explore this.
| posted 25 Jan, 2022 15:50
sahas
Hi
Thanks
Sangha

Similar to Cathy's suggestion, you could also reachout to UMBC's Imaging Facility. If you would like to cehck on their pricing and availability, you can email their facility director, Tagide deCarvalho at tagided@umbc.edu. Please copy me on that email to Tagide.
| posted 25 Jan, 2022 19:41
Thank you!
| posted 28 Jul, 2022 10:24
interesting information
| posted 06 Jul, 2023 19:08
Can anyone advise on whether the dry uranyl acetate waste generated from the EM staining process is considered exempt waste because of the very small dry amounts of waste, or if it has to be disposed of via a radioactive waste route? I am getting ready to write an SOP for staining using uranyl acetate at my institution and want to make sure that I handle the waste properly/prepare for the costs ect.
| posted 14 Jul, 2023 06:44
mdgainey
Can anyone advise on whether the dry uranyl acetate waste generated from the EM staining process is considered exempt waste because of the very small dry amounts of waste, or if it has to be disposed of via a radioactive waste route? I am getting ready to write an SOP for staining using uranyl acetate at my institution and want to make sure that I handle the waste properly/prepare for the costs ect.

hi Maria. I have inquired at my institution and uranyl acetate seems to exist in a nether state between radioactive and chemical waste, and neither of the individuals responsible for these two wastes want to claim it. Hopefully it will be more straightforward at your institution.

Login to post a reply.