SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

Disinfection Debate: does the order matter?

| posted 10 Sep, 2021 16:36
So after running this course for 6+ years, I discovered that my colleague and I clean-up our benches differently at the end of lab, and we both swear we were taught (during the same training) the way we each do it is "correct."

Whenever disinfecting BEFORE lab, we always do Ci-decon first, let it dry, followed by 70% Ethanol. The question is whether the order should be reversed at the end of experiments, before leaving the lab.

Should it remain Ci-decon first, then EtOH? Or should it be EtOH first, followed by Ci-decon? Does it matter?

(and if it does matter, can you share why?)
| posted 10 Sep, 2021 17:55
c.sunnen
So after running this course for 6+ years, I discovered that my colleague and I clean-up our benches differently at the end of lab, and we both swear we were taught (during the same training) the way we each do it is "correct."

Whenever disinfecting BEFORE lab, we always do Ci-decon first, let it dry, followed by 70% Ethanol. The question is whether the order should be reversed at the end of experiments, before leaving the lab.

Should it remain Ci-decon first, then EtOH? Or should it be EtOH first, followed by Ci-decon? Does it matter?

(and if it does matter, can you share why?)
We typically do EtOH after CiDecon so that we remove from the bench residual phenol from the cidecon.
| posted 10 Sep, 2021 18:25
And this is why we love you, Vic. You have all the answers!

Thanks for clarifying this for us! I hope it's useful for others, too!

Nikki

Login to post a reply.