SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

DNA master server down?

| posted 24 Jun, 2021 20:14
Update-Dan is working on troubleshooting the issue with DNA Master on Windows 10 machines. For now, it appears that new installations are problematic but existing installations are able to successfully update and have full functionality. Depending on the nature of the problem, Jeffrey Lawrence may need to modify some settings in DNA Master. I will keep everyone updated on the status of this issue.
| posted 20 Sep, 2021 18:21
Hello all,

Any new news? DNAM suddenly failed on my machine. No changes made, just the databases up and quit. Can't re-initialize. I'm a little nervous for the Spring. Do we have a version to give to my DoIT?

Steve
| posted 21 Sep, 2021 20:04
Hi Steve,

Jeffrey has made a couple of changes that should help:

1. Moved the DNA Master install file to an HTTP address instead of an FTP address to make the initial download easier
  2. Changed the default FTP mode within DNA Master from Active to Passive

The first will help with downloading the installer, while the second should make the first couple of updates work on most systems. That said, the usual caveats still apply: run as Admin, make sure preferences are correct, etc. Not sure why yours suddenly stopped working, but mine seems to be okay.

–Dan
Edited 21 Sep, 2021 20:05
| posted 11 Jul, 2023 17:59
Hi Dan,

I tried to do this and got the error attached in the screenshot. How do I fix this as DNA Master keeps giving me an "FTP Failure" error when I try to update or close it.
DanRussell
Hi Kathleen,

Looks like that screenshot shows someone using a Windows VM within a Mac, so they can't use Chris or Debbie's procedures, which would be Mac-specific. Instead, they can follow the directions here to connect to an FTP site from Windows:
https://www.howtogeek.com/272176/how-to-connect-to-ftp-servers-in-windows-without-extra-software/

Basically:
1. In Windows, open up a File Explorer window either using the Start Menu or clicking the little folder icon at the bottom of the screen.
2. In that File Explorer window, click on "This PC" on the left.
3. Right-click in the blank area called "Drives and Devices", and select "Add a network location" from the dropdown menu.
4. Then click "Choose a custom network location".
5. When it asks for an internet address, put "ftp://cobamide2.bio.pitt.edu/", then on the next screen make sure "Log in anonymously" is checked.
6. Complete the wizard with the open now option selected.
7. You should now see a folder open with the contents of that FTP site. Open the "DNAMas" folder, find the file "dna master.exe", and drag it to your desktop.

Then you should be able to install! Much more complicated than it used to be, but hopefully this will work.

–Dan
| posted 11 Jul, 2023 18:17
Hi! The server is down. Please refer to this post for updates.
https://seaphages.org/forums/topic/5569/

Login to post a reply.