SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

Choice of join in frameshift

| posted 12 Mar, 2021 04:56
I am trying to do the programmed translational frameshift in a Microbacterium EA6 phage, Juicer. I attended the 2020 Hackathon and saw Claire's excellent post in this forum about doing it in PECAAN, but I think I have two possible candidates for the join and would appreciate suggestions. I have screengrabs of the two regions along with the GM output in the attached document. I'm thinking the join should be 10397 OR 10367. Both are -1 and have listed slippery sequences around a Glycine. Should I be trying to BLAST the protein sequence with a related phage (Chepli)?
| posted 12 Mar, 2021 07:45
Here's the other phage: Gordonia GiKK cluster CT. I'm just not getting the frameshift yet.
| posted 12 Mar, 2021 15:21
Here is how I would call Juicer's frameshift. I use the six-frame translation in DNA Master to find the slippery sequence. I'll look at GiKK next.
debbie
| posted 12 Mar, 2021 15:36
Here is how I would call GiKK's frameshift.
| posted 01 Apr, 2021 20:36
Thank you Debbie!!!!!

Login to post a reply.