SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

problem with adding a gene

| posted 11 Jul, 2018 19:06
There appears to be some issue right now with adding a gene in PECAAN (at least in my hands…smile. This is new–I distinctly remember doing it successfully yesterday or the day before. But just now when I went in to annotate a frameshift and I clicked on the "add a gene" button the window doesn't seem to display properly. In two different browsers, chrome and Firefox, what you see at the very top is the "forward/reverse" drop down menu, and below that the "advanced" button, but there's no place visible to enter the "stop" coordinate. Again, this wasn't the case just yesterday or the day before, and I've fiddled with it today for quite some time. BTW this is in the LilDestine genome if that makes a difference.
Thoughts?
| posted 13 Jul, 2018 16:13
For me when the top of the "add a gene window" is cut off it is because I have the zoom level set to magnify the page. This happens a lot as I typically have my pages default to 150% zoom or so. The tiny 3-line menu in the top right corner can be used to see and or change the current zoom level.
| posted 24 Apr, 2020 15:54
cdshaffer
For me when the top of the "add a gene window" is cut off it is because I have the zoom level set to magnify the page. This happens a lot as I typically have my pages default to 150% zoom or so. The tiny 3-line menu in the top right corner can be used to see and or change the current zoom level.

Hi Chris,

We tried changing the zoom level, but the "banner" on the top still obscures the box where you can put the gene start coordinate in. Do you know if there is another workaround for this issue? Thanks!
| posted 27 Apr, 2020 00:44
yes, two trivial things to try, 1) try a different browser sometimes this helps. 2) maximize the window size on the browser to fill the screen. 3) set zoom level to less than 100%, 4) Move to a computer with a large screen and try there (these problems usually show up on portables with small 12 or 13 inch screens). I never have had an issue in my office with my large 24 inch monitor
| posted 27 Apr, 2020 00:48
cdshaffer
yes, two trivial things to try, 1) try a different browser sometimes this helps. 2) maximize the window size on the browser to fill the screen. 3) set zoom level to less than 100%, 4) Move to a computer with a large screen and try there (these problems usually show up on portables with small 12 or 13 inch screens). I never have had an issue in my office with my large 24 inch monitor

Great, thanks for the suggestions, I'll give them a go. Thanks Chris!

Login to post a reply.