SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

Phagesdb Entry Question

| posted 01 Jul, 2019 21:02
OK, here's a dumb question. But I figure, someone needs to ask them.

I have seen the "Number of Genes" field in Phagesdb where it is a total including tRNA genes and where it doesn't include tRNAs gene and, presumably reflects only protein coding genes. I would assume it is supposed to be the CDS number since at the input it says '# of ORFs' not genes, but the output says 'genes.'

Can you clarify, so I know for sure?

Thanks,

Steve

| posted 02 Jul, 2019 14:16
Hey Steve,

The intent is to have that field represent protein-coding genes only. There are separate fields for tRNAs and tmRNAs, so that info would go there. We're actually working on making these fields auto-update when we do Phamerator updates so that they're consistent and in line with Phamerator. Right now they're manually entered, so they may be less reliable.

–Dan

Login to post a reply.