SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

Cluster CZ4 Frameshift

| posted 07 May, 2019 18:52
I'm currently QCing Sekhmet, a Cluster CZ4 Gordonia phage. Phages in this cluster have the tail assembly chaperone programmed translational frameshift occurring as GT to GD with a slippery sequence of GGGGACT. The G part of Sekhmet doesn't contain any of the verified slippery sequences from the slippery sequence paper, but it does contain GGGAAAC, one base off from the verified GGGAAAT GN to GK slippery sequence yielding the same GN to GK frameshift. I've attached a screenshot of the six-frame translation with the original frameshift boxed in red and the GGGAAAC frameshift boxed in blue. Was there some particular reason that the GT to GD frameshift was chosen instead of GN to GK?
| posted 07 May, 2019 19:19
Kristen,
While I agree the currently called ribosomal slippage is not a stellar example, I don't think the placement of your proposed slippage works (because you are slipping out of the first frame too soon). I think we are approximately at the right place if there is indeed a frameshift. If you look at Powerball, the GGGGACT is not there…….. Kristen - I'll ask Welkin for her in put.
debbie
| posted 07 May, 2019 19:50
Hi All,
The frameshift should be in close proximity to the C-terminus of the G protein; the GN-GK one is simply too far away.
We probably should look at all the CZ4s and see if there is a consensus.

W

Login to post a reply.