SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

Pham 23651 function assignment

| posted 26 Mar, 2019 13:42
What current official function should be assigned to this pham in Rachaly and other drafts? Lokk has called it a “DNA binding domain protein”, CRB1 calls it a putative Rep protein. The research I have done suggests a best fit to “helix-turn-helix DNA binding domain".

I know that Debbie (et.al.?) were going to start investigating this gene and the Par system genes in Lokk and Rachaly back in 2017. Do you have any results that would give us the answer to this question?
| posted 26 Mar, 2019 14:03
Hi JoAnn– what is the gene number and/or coordinates in the current Phamerator draft? Pham numbers can change when we update the database and I just want to make sure I am looking at the right gene.
| posted 26 Mar, 2019 15:15
Lokk gene 36 (26423 - 27289 ) | pham 23651
Rachaly_Draft gene 36 (26457 - 27356 ) | pham 23651

Both are reverse genes. Right now there are only 5 members in the pham; two subclusters (A2 and A14); Lokk and CRB1 are the only non-draft genomes.
Edited 26 Mar, 2019 15:24
| posted 26 Mar, 2019 18:43
Hi JoAnn,
So this protein is being investigated at the bench by one of the Hatfull Lab postdocs, Katie Wetzel.

It is a "RepA-like replication initiator" and I will add that to the official list.

Thanks for asking!
| posted 26 Mar, 2019 19:01
Cool!
| posted 11 Jun, 2020 21:25
as the pham number is likely to change, here is the link to the Lokk gene 39 to check the current pham number: Lokk_CDS_35

P.S remember gene numbers can change by annotation and whether you are counting tRNA genes as well as protein genes. so confirming genes by coordinates is always recommended.

Login to post a reply.