SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

lysin A domains in Arthrobacter AN phages

| posted 16 Jan, 2019 18:46
Okay, so I have another question regarding phage Blair. I understand to expect lysin A to be split into 2 adjacent genes, and they are (gp 16 and 17, in Blair). It's pretty clear that gp 16 is the protease domain (multiple hits in HHPred to peptidase), but it's really unclear how to call gp 17. Best matches in HHPred are to N-acetylmuramoyl-L-alanine amidase (you can view this in PECAAN), and this function is called for this pham in other phages, but no longer appears on the function list. Can I call it "lysin A, N-acetylmuramoyl-L-alanine amidase"? Or is there a better way?

Thanks!
Nikki
| posted 20 Jan, 2019 00:31
Hi Nikki,
So this is a very specific enzymatic activity. Can you differentiate between this, and say, just a generic amidase? HHPred can't always discern that level of specificity.

IF you have good evidence for the specific activity, then sure. Otherwise, go with more generic.

Login to post a reply.