SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

Submit to GenBank Error

| posted 10 Sep, 2018 15:23

DNAMaster recently updated on my PC and I am no longer able to open the 'Submit to GenBank' window. The version is 5.23.2, Build 2592, 26 June 2018. I am running with Admin privileges and can open a dnam5 and all looks and works fine. When I click on Tools - Submit to GenBank, I get the error message "BLOB has has been modified." Didn't have this problem last week.

Any suggestions to 'unmodify' the BLOB?

Best,

Denise
Edited 10 Sep, 2018 16:48
| posted 10 Sep, 2018 18:22
Sally had this error and solved it by deleting all projects; see the last couple of posts in this thread:

https://seaphages.org/forums/topic/17/?page=8
| posted 10 Sep, 2018 19:07
Denise,
I knew I knew something about this but it took me a few prompts (thanks, Chris) to recall anything. It might be helpful to go to DMDB folder of the DNA Master application folder. there should be a GBS folder for each project. if you have no projects, you should not have any folders, so I am not sure that will fix anything.
In July, I had the same problem. Here is what Jeffrey had me do to fix it. However, I couldn't fix and and sent him files. He eventually got it fixed, so I am not sure this will help.

According to Jeffrey, the BLOB error means:
That means the database tables are not synchronized; each table has multiple files, and premature closing of a program or other database failure can cause them to get out of sync.

Close DNA Master
Go to the program directory and open the Helper directory
Run the dtutil32 program. This is an immensely useful program. Repeat steps below for any database errors.
Click the “By Directory” button
In the dialog, go to the DMDB directory and open the GenbankProjects.db file
Click the Verify button
Click the Rebuild button
Note any reports that the verification or rebuild was not successful. If so, repeat steps 7 then 6 on the file.
If there is corruption, they should rebuild without error, so no errors reported does not mean nothing is working.
Repeat steps 4-8 for the GenBankAuthors and GenBankReferences files
Restart DNA Master

Those are the DB files for GenBank projects and are the most likely files with the out-of-sync entries.

Me gain - So I tried this, like I said and couldn't make it work. since then, though, I have corrupted a file or 2. I sought out the GBsubmit folder and deleted the specific folder for a genome. When I did this, I corrupted an 'old' project, so i think it is still applicable to your problem…

I know this isn't very helpful, but maybe in wiser hands than mine it will work… You are welcome to call.
debbie

Edited 10 Sep, 2018 19:10
| posted 11 Sep, 2018 22:59
Hi Deb and Chris -

Thank you for the rapid replies. I tried the recommended fix and no luck. The 'Verify' button indicated all was ok but, unfortunately, the "Rebuild" button did not successfully restore the files or remove the error message. I tried to verify and rebuild all 3 of the files recommended in the post and in different orders to no avail. I also tried deleting all of the GenBank packages and it still would not even allow me access anything when I clicked "Submit to GenBank' from the Tools menu. Alas (with one small tear), I uninstalled DNA Master and re-installed again. I lost my GenBank packages but I had all of the files so I could re-create them again.

Hope the BLOB doesn't strike anyone else!

Best,
Denise
| posted 24 Jun, 2020 21:17
I just ran into the same problem and forgot to check the forum but contacted Jeffrey Lawrence directly. I asked him what the BLOB error stood for and how to fix it. Here is his reply:
>>>>>
It means the database file was corrupted. Most times, this can be fixed. This is esoteric, but give it a try:

Close DNA Master
Go to the Helper directory in the DNA Master installation directory
Look for a program called “dutil32.exe”. Run it.
In the top box, click the “By Directory” button
Navigate to the DNA master installation directory, then to the DMDB subdirectory
On the left panel you will see the database table. Choose GenBankProjects
Click “rebuild”.
Repeat for the GenBank Authors and GenBankReferences tables, if needed.

PLEASE NOTE: I did this as listed and the rebuilding failed, but I went back and started the .exe file using the right click then Run as adminstrator like you have to do for DNA master. When I did that, the rebuilding worked.

Dave
| posted 24 Jun, 2020 21:17
I just ran into the same problem and forgot to check the forum but contacted Jeffrey Lawrence directly. I asked him what the BLOB error stood for and how to fix it. Here is his reply:
>>>>>
It means the database file was corrupted. Most times, this can be fixed. This is esoteric, but give it a try:

Close DNA Master
Go to the Helper directory in the DNA Master installation directory
Look for a program called “dutil32.exe”. Run it.
In the top box, click the “By Directory” button
Navigate to the DNA master installation directory, then to the DMDB subdirectory
On the left panel you will see the database table. Choose GenBankProjects
Click “rebuild”.
Repeat for the GenBank Authors and GenBankReferences tables, if needed.

PLEASE NOTE: I did this as listed and the rebuilding failed, but I went back and started the .exe file using the right click then Run as adminstrator like you have to do for DNA master. When I did that, the rebuilding worked.

Dave

Login to post a reply.