SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

D29 plaques barely visible on M. smeg

| posted 27 Aug, 2018 18:56
Kayla,
Would you do dilutions of D29 and not just a single spot?

You streak from P1FF streak from stock #2 looks like smeg. When you see 4 day colonies, are they dry and wrinkled? (as in, not smooth and glistening?)
| posted 28 Aug, 2018 20:51
Viknesh Sivanathan
kaylafast
P2FF streak from stock #1
Incubation: 37 degrees C, 2 days (1 day photo unavailable)

I would be suspicious of this streak plate (and the culture from which the streak was setup). There appears to be more growth than expected. Go ahead and test your latest culture, but also setup streak plates (and mock streaks) from your glycerol stocks. Let me know what you see. You can then go ahead and setup cultures.

The spot test after 24 hrs using my newest M. smeg. P2FF (from stock #2) has definitely provided stronger clearings. This plate includes D29, phage buffer, and 2 other smeg phages from last year. After 24 hrs the streak with no bacteria shows no growth, and the new P2FF after 24 hrs has some growth.

I did also start streak plates today using 3 different glycerol stocks.
Edited 28 Aug, 2018 20:54
| posted 28 Aug, 2018 20:52
Control streak plate
Incubation 37 degrees C, 24 hrs
| posted 28 Aug, 2018 20:53
P2FF streak from stock #2
Incubation: 37 degrees C, 24 hrs
| posted 28 Aug, 2018 20:56
Kayla,
I think everything looks as I would expect. Do you think it is all correct now?
debbie
| posted 28 Aug, 2018 21:05
Debbie Jacobs-Sera
Kayla,
I think everything looks as I would expect. Do you think it is all correct now?
debbie
So far I think we are back on track. I'll chunk the suspicious components. Thanks Debbie and Vic!

Login to post a reply.