SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

New frameshift in an A1 phage?

| posted 11 Jun, 2018 20:29
For phages in Cluster A, Tail assembly chaperons are the only type of genes accepted to contain frameshifts. However, while annotating Anglerfish (an A1 subcluster phage), gp13 and gp14 appear to be identical to the N- and C-terminal half regions of capsid maturation protease, respectively. I have searched for slippery sequences and have not found perfect matches, although did find the GGGAGA sequence (very similar to GGGAAA) in the overlapping region. What should be done about this? A BLASTN analysis of this region shows a one-nucleotide difference with Dreamboat on the sequence GGGCGC (this sequence reads GGGCTC in Dreamboat), and this difference is also within the region where the two sequences overlap.
| posted 11 Jun, 2018 21:40
We have no wet bench data for any frameshifts in anything other than the tail assembly chaperones. So while this is cool, we are not going to annotation this with a frameshift between the two pieces.
| posted 12 Jun, 2018 02:04
Welkin Pope
We have no wet bench data for any frameshifts in anything other than the tail assembly chaperones. So while this is cool, we are not going to annotation this with a frameshift between the two pieces.
Totally understandable, Welkin. So, should I assign the same function to both genes?
| posted 12 Jun, 2018 12:59
Hey Germán,

Since this one was sequenced a while ago, I think I should probably check the sequence in this region to see if it's a sequencing error. I'll get to that ASAP.

–Dan
| posted 12 Jun, 2018 14:32
Sounds good, Dan. Please let me know as soon as you get to it. THANKS!!!
| posted 26 Jun, 2018 20:18
Hey Germán,

I was able to find the original data for Anglerfish on one of our old machines. Turns out it is indeed a sequencing error. About 50% of the reads had 4 Cs instead of 3 Cs there, but the consensus was called with 3 Cs. Since it was sequenced in the early days of Ion Torrent, we weren't as good at picking up those errors, but after that definitely confirmed that in cases like that, the longer string was correct.

I've added a fourth C to that position in the PhagesDB fasta file. I'll be in touch via email about how to move your existing annotation info to the new sequence.

–Dan
| posted 26 Jun, 2018 21:14
Germán,
Excellent obse4rvaton of the data!
-debbie

Login to post a reply.