SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

Annotating Cluster C1 phage onn Macbook Pro

| posted 04 Jun, 2018 18:16
Hello,

Is there any way to get a large cluster C1 phage genome to annotate on a MacBook Pro (using WINE). Most of the time, I can open the file but when I try to show ORFs in a frames view I run out of memory or get various error messages. Another time I was able to generate the ORFs in Frames, but then could not get RBS scores when I selected a gene (again an error message).

I will be using this computer during the upcoming faculty workshop, so any help would be much appreciated.

Ann
| posted 04 Jun, 2018 21:12
Hi Ann,

I'm not sure there is. My recent experiences with WINE have varied, and almost always the size of the genome is a determining factor in how well WINE works. A 50 kb genome loads in a few seconds, but a 100 kb genome never works.

Not helpful, obviously, but others may have better suggestions.

You may be able to request a loaner laptop for the workshop. I'd ask Vic and/or Billy.

–Dan

Login to post a reply.