SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

Capsid morphogenesis protein

| posted 24 Apr, 2018 13:19
What is a "capsid morphogenesis protein"? Inquiring minds want to know, so I am writing y'all a post about it.

The F protein in phage Mu is a small protein involved in capsid morphogenesis. From the little I can get from poking around and/or pestering phage assembly people, it is probably some kind of small stabilization protein, or a decoration protein. Deleting F from the Mu genome still gives you intact particles under the microscope. It is unclear from what I have read as to whether or not these virions are infectious.

The presence of this domain is what yields the “capsid morphogenesis” functional label in our actinobacteriophage annotations. The MuF domain appears in a number of actinobacteriophage, notably the Cluster Bs, and it appears fused to different things— the protease, the portal, and I think even to the capsid itself.
So yes— you can have both a protease and a morphogenesis protein as they may or may not be fused together.
| posted 30 Mar, 2023 16:11
Official function list (2023)

"we are no longer using "capsid morphogenesis protein""

Login to post a reply.