SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

a work in progress

| posted 01 Sep, 2015 17:00
Yesterday was a big moment for the SEA-PHAGES app. It was the first time that we moved out of testing and had large numbers of real people were using the app for their sample collection. This morning, an error occurred that resulted in the loss of data entered after 8/29/15. To those of you who made accounts or added samples on 8/30 or 8/31, your information has been lost, and I'm personally very sorry for the inconvenience this causes.

As I work to put measures into place to prevent these types of issues in the future, I would ask that you please not give up on the app. If your account was deleted, please make a new one and add your sample back to the app. When you add a sample, it is added at your current position. However, you can "unlock" the map by tapping the lock icon, and then drag the marker to the correct position. Once you have done that, you'll see a message at the top of the screen that says "undo move sample?". Tap anywhere else on the screen to confirm that you meant to move it, and then tap the red lock icon to re-lock the map. You'll also want to correct the date associated with the sample, since it defaults to the date that you re-add the sample to the map. To fix this, click the menu bottom (3 horizontal lines), and edit the date field.

Again, my apologies. Please bear with us as we grow.
| posted 25 Sep, 2016 21:00
Hey Steve!

I don't know if this is an isolated issue, but the Map/Samples feature does not appear to be working at all times. On Friday, nothing happened when I tapped on the Map icon (screen stayed white). But it works today! Any suggestions?

Also, I would love to see a feature there we could see where samples had already been collected that resulted in phage, so my students are not sampling the same planter every single quarter!

Thanks,
Jordan
| posted 27 Sep, 2016 15:07
Hi Jordan,

You're right, we've been having some intermittent trouble with the app this year, mostly on the server side but it manifests as not being able to load the map. My students and I are working on the problem and hope to have a substantially improved version in place for next year. Thanks for your patience with it.

Best,
Steve
| posted 25 Aug, 2017 12:00
Hi Steve,
One of my students tried to use the SEA-PHAGES app, but was unsuccessful. The student tried to register for an account using phages.db (as specified in the discovery manual) and was not able to get an account. I looked up the app in the Apple store, and it's no longer listed. We also looked on an android device and it's not listed in the apps there either.

Is the app being revamped?

Thanks,
Dana Pape-Zambito

| posted 25 Aug, 2017 14:24
Hi Dana,

Yes, the app has been completely rewritten. We pulled the old versions from the store because an update to Google Maps meant that we could no longer use their service in the way we had been. We are attempting to submit a new version today for both Android and iOS. The Android process is quick, but it can take several days for Apple to post the app update on their store. I'll post again here once the updates are live.

If your students are collecting samples in the meantime, you might just want to ask them to record the location of their samples for later entry into the app.

Best,
Steve

d.zambito
Hi Steve,
One of my students tried to use the SEA-PHAGES app, but was unsuccessful. The student tried to register for an account using phages.db (as specified in the discovery manual) and was not able to get an account. I looked up the app in the Apple store, and it's no longer listed. We also looked on an android device and it's not listed in the apps there either.

Is the app being revamped?

Thanks,
Dana Pape-Zambito
| posted 06 Dec, 2017 16:24
Hello,

I am having the issues with the online version of SEA-PHAGES app and the app itself. I have tried throughout this semester to get students to login and upload information, but we have been unsuccessful for a couple of reasons. For one, the maps are not showing up for some students and for others they are unable to drop a pin on a location. I've seen the earlier threads and since it's at the end of our semester, I'm wondering if there is another option for us to upload soil sample information to SEA-PHAGES.

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Chelsea
| posted 07 Dec, 2017 16:32
Chelsea,
As a back up plan students can enter their data directly at phagesdb.org. Ideally students should upload EM, digest, and plaque pictures (if they have them). To prepare images for upload see this:

http://phagesdb.org/media/workflow/protocols/pdfs/MakingThumbnails.pdf

Also, before going to uploading everything, go get the GPS coordinates using Google maps. Just go to google maps and zoom in to the point where you can accurately click on the collection site, after clicking exactly on the spot in the map a box will show up with the decimal GPC coordinates, just copy them for the last step.

Go to the add a phage page on phagesdb.org which is here:

http://phagesdb.org/addphage/

Or if the phage is already been added to phagesdb.org they can go here to make updates:

http://phagesdb.org/modphage/

Students should fill out as much as they can but some fields will certainly be left empty as they require the genome sequence. I especially encourage my students to fill out the Naming notes section; mostly because I am always curious the how and why of a particular phage name.
| posted 06 Jul, 2018 23:05
Cohort 11, going to the 11B workshop tomorrow! Downloaded the app from Google Play to my android phone. Tried to create account using .edu email and nothing happens. Preparatory info for the workshop suggests that I should get a link confirming the account from my email?
Tried restarting my phone, no effect. Any ideas?
| posted 07 Jul, 2018 14:53
asprenkle
Cohort 11, going to the 11B workshop tomorrow! Downloaded the app from Google Play to my android phone. Tried to create account using .edu email and nothing happens. Preparatory info for the workshop suggests that I should get a link confirming the account from my email?
Tried restarting my phone, no effect. Any ideas?

Hi Amy,

The app is down at the moment. When you check-in at UMBC, we'll tell you how to go about sample collection without using the app. See you soon!
| posted 10 Sep, 2018 15:33
Hi there,
We are having some issue with registering the SEA-PHAGES app. Any idea?
thanks.
Jake Theriault (UMFK)

Login to post a reply.