SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

SSL error

| posted 24 Oct, 2017 14:47
Hello,

One of my students is getting the error "could not load SSL library". when he tried to BLAST.

Does any one know how to fix this bug?

Thanks
Katie
| posted 24 Oct, 2017 15:40
Hi Katie,

I think this error is due to not having a certain library installed on the particular version of Windows that's running. That library wasn't required until after the update earlier this year to use secure NCBI servers. I think I came across that error myself, and in my notes I have that I went to the link below and installed the Visual C++ package there, then restarted and it worked.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5555

UPDATE Sep 2021: The link above no longer works, but the file can be found at the link below now. Download it from within Windows and then run it, and make sure you close DNA Master and restart Windows before trying to BLAST again.

https://phagesdb.org/static/vcredist_x86.exe

Hopefully that helps,
–Dan
Edited 03 Sep, 2021 15:03
| posted 26 Oct, 2017 14:12
Hi Dan,

Thank you this did fix one of the problems.

We have a second problem as well. The student gets an error "Data module error" Then lists many databases. See Image.

Do you have any way to fix this problem? The student has tried to uninstall and reinstall without success. He tried to hard remove from the computer and a system restore point.

Thanks,
Katie
| posted 26 Oct, 2017 15:09
KAtie,
This looks like the executable is no longer in the DNA Master folder and it can't find the database files it needs. With the uninstalling/reinstalling did he accidentally drag it out somewhere?

| posted 30 Oct, 2017 15:23
I am not sure if this is the same issue since I did not see the exact error message but I had a student with a failed install. It turned out he had a high end "gaming" laptop which had two hard drives. A small fast SSD drive which was the "C:" drive, and a slower much larger "D:" drive. He chose to install on the D: drive and was never able to get DNA Master to work properly. It did work when he removed DNA Master and then ran an install on the C: drive.

You might want to check with the student and see if he also had two hard drives and if so be sure to install on the C: drive.
| posted 15 Apr, 2020 14:55
FYI – The fix that Dan uses below recently (April 2020) worked for me as well. Thanks, Dan! –Beckie

DanRussell
Hi Katie,

I think this error is due to not having a certain library installed on the particular version of Windows that's running. That library wasn't required until after the update earlier this year to use secure NCBI servers. I think I came across that error myself, and in my notes I have that I went to the link below and installed the Visual C++ package there, then restarted and it worked.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5555

Hopefully that helps,
–Dan
Beckie Bortz
Edited 15 Apr, 2020 14:56
| posted 07 May, 2021 15:10
I am getting this error, but the link Dan provided is no longer working. Does anyone have an update?
Thanks,
Tammy
| posted 27 May, 2021 16:58
Hi Tammy–I'm experiencing the same issues. SSL error, and the link provided is no longer working. I also get a Data Module Error creating events.db,tables error. Any help with fixes for these would be greatly appreciated.

–Christie

Tamarah_Adair
I am getting this error, but the link Dan provided is no longer working. Does anyone have an update?
Thanks,
Tammy
| posted 27 Jul, 2021 18:56
One solution which at least used to work (I have not verified recently), is to download and install Bitvise SSH Client. Assuming nothing has changed with this approach, once installation completes the SSL libraries will now be in place for other programs (e.g. DNA Master) to use.

Login to post a reply.