SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

How many holins?

| posted 09 Aug, 2017 16:30
I am looking at cluster J phages and there are instances where two holins have been called. Allowed? The structure is LysA-holin-LysB-holin.
| posted 10 Aug, 2017 14:37
David,

Which phages have the second potential holins? The cluster J phages I've looked at have pham 5845 between the two lysins, which does not look like a holin via HHPred (attached) and does not seem to have a transmembrane region by TMHMM?

Karen
| posted 10 Aug, 2017 14:46
Karen,

That is indeed the "holin" I am looking at in Dmpstrdiver. It does not really seem like one to me based on all the evidence we have but I was wondering if there was evidence I don't know about for why this has been called a holin.

Best,

Dave

Login to post a reply.