SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

"Infernal" score in tRNAScanSE?

| posted 21 Mar, 2017 15:04
I am just now noticing that the score that we tend to pay attention to when we run scans in this software package is an "inFernal" score, not "inTernal" as I originally read it. This doesn't appear to be a typo as it also occurs in the help documentation, but they really don't explain it. Is this just a strange contraction for "inferential"? Or is it some kind of obscure (at least to me) statistical term? A google search doesn't seem to help….
| posted 06 Aug, 2017 04:30
Infernal appears to be covariance model search program for RNA homology searches, from Sean Eddy's lab. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24008419/
Edited 06 Aug, 2017 04:32

Login to post a reply.