SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

Oracle VB Updates - How often do you recommend students upgrade?

| posted 26 Jan, 2016 19:58
A new version of Oracle VM (5.0.14) was just released on 1/19/16, 4 days after the semester started. Do you have them download and install the new version in the middle of the semester or just remind them to ignore the pop-up when they start the program?

It's not a super huge deal to do so on personal computers. The classroom computers may cause an I.T. revolt. It seems with every change in software we bump into more than a few hiccups.

Your thoughts?
| posted 27 Jan, 2016 02:50
I just ignore the updates personally. I might change to the new version after a semester, but never during. Don't want to take any chances that things will get mucked up.
| posted 27 Jan, 2016 14:53
Lee Hughes
I just ignore the updates personally. I might change to the new version after a semester, but never during. Don't want to take any chances that things will get mucked up.

Thanks. I think we will probably do this in the future too.
| posted 27 Jan, 2016 20:39
Lee Hughes

I agree 100% with Lee here. Unless there's something that's not working (or if there's a new feature in the update that you MUST have), don't upgrade.

–Dan

Login to post a reply.