SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

Running DNA Master on a Mac using Wine

| posted 16 Sep, 2015 13:55
Hi all,

Does anyone have experience using Wine to run DNA Master on a Mac without having to install a Windows virtual machine? If so, any words of wisdom/caution/warning/enthusiasm?

Thanks,
–Dan
| posted 16 Sep, 2015 15:09
We have been successfully using Wine to run DNA Master on the Mac for the past three years with only rare, very minor issues. The most important word of caution I have is to be careful in setting up the save preferences during initial preferences setup. The Wine program creates a "fake" windows C drive in order to properly run. The default DNA Master Archive save location is set to this "fake" C drive. I have my students create a DNA Master Archive on their Mac desktop or other readily accessible location on their Mac. When setting preferences, be sure to set the save location to this folder. Otherwise, it's nearly impossible to locate files when working on the Mac.

Next, some students occasionally have difficulty cutting and pasting from DNA Master onto websites such as BLAST, HHpred, etc. This can be fixed in one of two ways: on the X11 preferences menu, make sure that you set Pasteboard settings to "Enable syncing" and all sub-options are selected. If this doesn't help, restart X11 and DNA Master. I find that sometimes the system gets overwhelmed when copying/pasting a lot of text and will stop responding to the copy paste functions.

Anyone who has any specific questions about using DNA Master on the Mac can contact me for help. Although the installation seems like technology hoop jumping, once installed DNA Master will run smoothly for the majority of the time on the Mac.
Edited 16 Sep, 2015 15:09
| posted 16 Sep, 2015 15:39
We are running DNA Master within the WINE configuration.
The installer has been copied and you should be able to get to it from this link.
https://baylor.box.com/s/295to06pr1cpztqiu2jn0h77iy3vkanz

Our contact is in Student Technology Services. He installs the DNA Master on the Macs in the lab at the beginning of the spring semester. If there are updates he incorporates these. I'm sure he would be glad to answer any questions you might have.
| posted 16 Sep, 2015 18:19
Thanks to you both! Hopefully this will help anyone who's looking to avoid purchasing extra Windows licenses, or just prefers working on a Mac and doesn't want to bother with a Linux and a Windows VM.

–Dan
| posted 13 Jan, 2016 21:22
Tamarah Adair
The installer has been copied and you should be able to get to it from this link.

Our contact is in Student Technology Services. He installs the DNA Master on the Macs in the lab at the beginning of the spring semester. If there are updates he incorporates these. I'm sure he would be glad to answer any questions you might have.
Hey Tammy. I'm not a Mac guy… I used one some 20 years ago… but it has been a while.

Your link above still works. It leads to file called DNAMaster_5.22.19.dmg

Is that an executable file on Mac OS10? Does it need to be extracted? Or opened in another program? Sorry for the newb questions!

Thanks! Greg
| posted 13 Jan, 2016 21:24
Kristen Butela
We have been successfully using Wine to run DNA Master on the Mac for the past three years with only rare, very minor issues. The most important word of caution I have is to be careful in setting up the save preferences during initial preferences setup. The Wine program creates a "fake" windows C drive in order to properly run. The default DNA Master Archive save location is set to this "fake" C drive. I have my students create a DNA Master Archive on their Mac desktop or other readily accessible location on their Mac. When setting preferences, be sure to set the save location to this folder. Otherwise, it's nearly impossible to locate files when working on the Mac.

Next, some students occasionally have difficulty cutting and pasting from DNA Master onto websites such as BLAST, HHpred, etc. This can be fixed in one of two ways: on the X11 preferences menu, make sure that you set Pasteboard settings to "Enable syncing" and all sub-options are selected. If this doesn't help, restart X11 and DNA Master. I find that sometimes the system gets overwhelmed when copying/pasting a lot of text and will stop responding to the copy paste functions.

Anyone who has any specific questions about using DNA Master on the Mac can contact me for help. Although the installation seems like technology hoop jumping, once installed DNA Master will run smoothly for the majority of the time on the Mac.

Hey Kristen: Are you still using Wine to run DNA Master? Is it still the "Windows emulator" of choice? Thanks. Greg
| posted 13 Jan, 2016 21:28
GregFrederick@letu.edu
Tamarah Adair

Hey Tammy. I'm not a Mac guy… I used one some 20 years ago… but it has been a while.

Your link above still works. It leads to file called DNAMaster_5.22.19.dmg

Is that an executable file on Mac OS10? Does it need to be extracted? Or opened in another program? Sorry for the newb questions!

Thanks! Greg

Hi Greg,

The .dmg is the standard disk image format for Mac, meaning it's the format in which most Mac programs are downloaded now, so it'll be totally fine with all OSX versions, and you should just be able to double-click after downloading.

–Dan
| posted 13 Jan, 2016 21:29
Hi there Greg! Yes, I am currently still using WINE to run DNA Master. The great thing about WINE is that it really isn't a Windows emulator that requires a separate virtual machine-any WINE program can run on the native MacOS. From my understanding, WINE in combination with X11 provides a basic scaffold on the Mac on which Windows programs can run. All you need to do is to make sure that XQuartz/X11 (http://www.xquartz.org/) is installed on the computer (this permits WINE programs to function). Tamarah's link contains the entire DNA Master package. The Mac will treat this program as an app. Good luck, and let me know if you have any questions!
| posted 13 Jan, 2016 21:37
Kristen Butela
Hi there Greg! Yes, I am currently still using WINE to run DNA Master. The great thing about WINE is that it really isn't a Windows emulator that requires a separate virtual machine-any WINE program can run on the native MacOS. From my understanding, WINE in combination with X11 provides a basic scaffold on the Mac on which Windows programs can run. All you need to do is to make sure that XQuartz/X11 (http://www.xquartz.org/) is installed on the computer (this permits WINE programs to function). Tamarah's link contains the entire DNA Master package. The Mac will treat this program as an app. Good luck, and let me know if you have any questions!

Good point. I think that X11 used to be included by default on Mac OS X installations, up til about 10.6, but no longer is. You'll need to add it on newer versions of OS X, but that should be fairly painless using the link Kristen supplied.

–Dan
| posted 13 Jan, 2016 21:44
Kristen Butela

Thanks Kristen. I put the "Windows Emulator" in quotes cause I had read that it's not technically an emulator. But then again they took the name from that.

QUESTION:

Does X11 need to be installed separately? Or will Tammy's dmg install it?

Login to post a reply.