SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

DNA Master failed update

| posted 20 Jan, 2017 23:36
It should connect to Jeffrey's site automatically just by clicking the button.
| posted 22 Jan, 2017 00:14
Miriam. We have had the exact same issue. The Lawrence lab has this information on the download page:

Slip-stream update: The current version of DNA Master is atleast 2249. If you have an earlier version, and it cannot update itself any longer, that reflects a bug in the FTp subsystem. That bug has been repaired. You will need to downlaod this slip-stream update and unzip it to your DNA master installation directory. After that, the program should be able to update itself once again.

This will fix the issue, sometimes. Other times, a student will get the same issue you have in your picture and the program gets caught in an endless loop trying to do the FTP update when you click the button. We are still trying to trouble shoot it on the a few computers. Let me know if you are able to fix it.
| posted 23 Jan, 2017 15:38
We meet again tomorrow. I will try the FTP version and will see if that works. I'll keep y'all updated!
smile

ckorey
Miriam. We have had the exact same issue. The Lawrence lab has this information on the download page:

Slip-stream update: The current version of DNA Master is atleast 2249. If you have an earlier version, and it cannot update itself any longer, that reflects a bug in the FTp subsystem. That bug has been repaired. You will need to downlaod this slip-stream update and unzip it to your DNA master installation directory. After that, the program should be able to update itself once again.

This will fix the issue, sometimes. Other times, a student will get the same issue you have in your picture and the program gets caught in an endless loop trying to do the FTP update when you click the button. We are still trying to trouble shoot it on the a few computers. Let me know if you are able to fix it.
| posted 24 Jan, 2017 15:23
Both Mac and PC students in our class are having intermittent update problems. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't (on the same laptop, same instance of DNAMaster). For some it takes many attempts, and then it finally works.
| posted 24 Jan, 2017 20:04
Ok so I finally figured out the issue. When we clicked on the program file, it generated an icon that looked like the executable file, but was in fact the uninstaller. I manually located the .exe file and solved the issue. I'm not sure why this wasn't an issue for some people (i.e., for some the icon generated was the actual executable file). We didn't need to use the FTP option. Thanks to all for the input!
| posted 02 Feb, 2017 15:29
Our IT dept has refused to give us admin privileges to update DNA master. I'm trying to get one of them to come out and update the program on each machine.

We've noticed an issue. When the students open the RBS window on these non-updated non-admin computers they cannot modify the scoring algorithms. Does anyone know if this is due to the program not being updated versus not having admin access? I can probably fix the update issue, but the admin access is a no-go.
| posted 09 Feb, 2017 21:04
Our university is struggling with making the decision to give our students admin privileges. As of this message, we can not update the DNA master software for this reason. I hope that there is a work around.
| posted 10 Feb, 2017 16:21
Our IT had the idea to change the access privileges for the DNA Master folder and all internal folders so that logged in users did not need admin privileges to make changes to anything inside those folders. Out systems are Windows 7 and this is mostly working, I would say auto-update is now working on about 95% of the computers, so there is a way to configure Windows 7 so that you don't need admin privilege. Might be worth asking your IT if this is a viable solution for your systems.
| posted 16 Mar, 2017 19:39
I had the same issue (and saw the same error message) when trying to run this on my Surface Pro 4. Setting the icon to "run as an administrator" and "allowing the program to make changes to the system" [danger, danger smile]. Fixed the issue. Am now updated.
Edited 16 Mar, 2017 19:45
| posted 11 Apr, 2017 18:14
The last couple of days, I can't open the Lawrence Lab web page to download DNA master…

Login to post a reply.