SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

Printing phamerator maps

| posted 24 Feb, 2016 20:59
I'm trying to print phamerator maps on a large format (poster) printer.

All I recall from the workshop is to save it as a pdf. WHichhI've done, and emailed it to myself but I'm having trouble figuring out how to scale it up.

I'm sure I'm missing something simple, but could someone point me in the right direction?
| posted 24 Feb, 2016 21:16
The pdf library in phamerator is not very good so if you save a map from phamerator directly to PDF and try to print in large form it does not work well.

Here is the recommended protocol I give my students:

1. Open phamerator and create your map.
2. Edit the view menu to set what is shown and not shown to suit your purpose
3. Save as a SVG from phamerator.
4. Transfer the file as needed to a computer which has Inkscape installed. (Inkscpe is a free to download graphics program that works kind of like Illustrator. There are versions for all platforms)
5. Open the file in Inkscape and use save as… to save in PDF format
6. Open the PDF version of the file in whatever program you are using to create your poster
7. Typically students are using Powerpoint to create a giant slide, in which case I tell them to use the Insert menu -> photo -> picture from file to select the PDF. Then resize the map to fit the size of the poster.
| posted 24 Feb, 2016 21:22
Thanks Chris - I'll give it a try
| posted 09 Feb, 2017 09:57
Thank you!

cdshaffer
The pdf library in phamerator is not very good so if you save a map from phamerator directly to PDF and try to print in large form it does not work well.

Here is the recommended protocol I give my students:

1. Open phamerator and create your map.
2. Edit the view menu to set what is shown and not shown to suit your purpose
3. Save as a SVG from phamerator.
4. Transfer the file as needed to a computer which has Inkscape installed. (Inkscpe is a free to download graphics program that works kind of like Illustrator. There are versions for all platforms)
5. Open the file in Inkscape and use save as… to save in PDF format
6. Open the PDF version of the file in whatever program you are using to create your poster
7. Typically students are using Powerpoint to create a giant slide, in which case I tell them to use the Insert menu -> photo -> picture from file to select the PDF. Then resize the map to fit the size of the poster.
| posted 09 Feb, 2017 15:32
Note that there's also a little document on using Inkscape with Phamerator maps that came out of the Faculty Retreat last year:

http://seaphages.org/faculty/information/#modifications

http://seaphages.org/media/docs/UsingInkscapeToEditPhameratorMaps.pdf

–Dan

Login to post a reply.