SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

Install Guest Additions to VM ---- Without "SEAFaculty Login ability"

| posted 17 Jan, 2017 19:36
The final step in the VM installation this year has the instruction below.

QUESTION: Is there a way that we can give students access to these "Guest Additions" without faculty login credentials? I am not comfortable giving the class my credentials? Is there another way to access these additions?

Thanks. Greg

5. Install Guest Additions to make the VM work optimally with your host OS.
Guest Additions are software you can install winthin your virtual machine to make it work more seamlessly with your host operating system. Basically, it lets the VM "play nice" with the host OS, and allows smoother mouse interactions, window resizing, clipboard sharing, time syncing, and more.
To install Guest Additions, log in to the seafaculty account on your SEA Virtual Machine, find the VirtualBox VM menu, and go to Devices→Insert Guest Additions CD Image…
You should see some activity within the VM in a terminal window. If prompted, enter the seafaculty password. When complete, you may see a success message in the terminal.
| posted 21 Jan, 2017 20:05
Question - I was trying to learn using Phamerator software. I have downloaded the VirtualBox. Everything went well without any problems on my machine. But, When I try to start Phamerator, I get a message saying “”Database Setup Required.” “Phamerator needs to set up your database. Please enter your root database password.”

I tried passwords for student access, faculty access and admin access none of them work. Do you know whats is going on? Can anyone help?
| posted 31 Jan, 2017 23:20
The password is "phage".

There is a document here with details: http://seaphages.org/media/docs/Server_and_databases_for_Phamerator_and_Starterator.docx

| posted 19 Jul, 2023 10:05
Hello Staff, I can't move files from my computer to the VM, so I tried clicking "Insert Guest Additions CD Image…", but nothing happened, no activity occurred in the terminal window or anywhere. What could I do, please? Thank you.
| posted 19 Jul, 2023 14:35
jcaoyao@gmail.com
Hello Staff, I can't move files from my computer to the VM, so I tried clicking "Insert Guest Additions CD Image…", but nothing happened, no activity occurred in the terminal window or anywhere. What could I do, please? Thank you.

Hi, you can try opening a terminal and running this command:

sudo apt-get install virtualbox-guest-utils

If that doesn't work, I'd suggest asking the internet!

–Dan
| posted 19 Jul, 2023 15:59
DanRussell
jcaoyao@gmail.com

Hi, you can try opening a terminal and running this command:

sudo apt-get install virtualbox-guest-utils

If that doesn't work, I'd suggest asking the internet!

–Dan

Thanks Dan, for it does work. Which now it asks me for the [sudo] password for seafaculty, but isn't the one you once gave me. What would the new password be?
| posted 21 Jul, 2023 10:19
Dear Dan, would you have the password/s for the guest addition command or even the streamlining software package you wrote? They are most important for me.
| posted 21 Jul, 2023 19:01
The password discussed above is the password for the mysql database it is not the password if you want to run sudo commands. For sudo you use your password you used to login. But there is a more important issue.

Are you logged in as SEA student or SEA faculty? The SEA student account does not have permission to do sudo commands so the seastudent password will fail. If this is the problem you should get an error message about not being in "sudoers". You have to do all this by logging into the SEA faculty account as that account has permission to run the sudo command. If you are on the seafaculty account and it is failing there is some unusual issue with your set up. If that is the case the next step is probably to post the exact steps you are on and the exact error message.

Note: The password discussed above is the password for the mysql database it is not the password if you want to run sudo. You can use mysql with password phage from the seastudent account, you just cannot run the sudo command with the seastudent login password.
Edited 21 Jul, 2023 19:04
| posted 21 Jul, 2023 19:31
Thank you Sir. My case is precisely seafaculty account and failing. Every day it says like sorry, try again.

Login to post a reply.