SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

Other M. smegmatis strains

| posted 23 Oct, 2016 00:20
Our school is pilotting the program this year before officially applying to join the SEA-PHAGES. The M. smegmatis that we currently have is NCTC 8159 [Cornell 3] or 19420 from ATCC. I know the program uses M. smegmatis mc2155 for most of the hosts. Does anyone have any experience using other strains? Our budget is limited and if I don't have to purchase the mc2155 strain it would help us out significantly.
Thanks,
Jeremy
| posted 25 Oct, 2016 20:07
Jeremy,
If you join the program (and go through our training) we set up an MTA between U of Pittsburgh and your school to be able to ship M. smegmatis mc2 155 to you. So you could use your bacteria to pilot and then you will have smeg by August of next year (assuming you are accepted into the program).
| posted 26 Oct, 2016 03:16
Thank you Debbie, I think we will try using our current strain.
Jeremy

Login to post a reply.