SEA-PHAGES Logo

The official website of the HHMI Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.

Welcome to the forums at seaphages.org. Please feel free to ask any questions related to the SEA-PHAGES program. Any logged-in user may post new topics and reply to existing topics. If you'd like to see a new forum created, please contact us using our form or email us at info@seaphages.org.

Introductory Phage Papers

| posted 01 Sep, 2015 15:56
I remember several people mentioning good research or introductory phage articles that they have their students read at the intro to this course. I can't, however seem to find in my notes what they were! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Stephanie
| posted 01 Sep, 2015 16:17
Hi Stephanie,

I moved your question to the "Papers" forum since it seems more at home here.

One source to check out is the PhagesDB "PubGroups". These are groups of publications that share some theme. The "Faculty Favorites" are papers that come with recommendations by SEA-PHAGES faculty members.

This page on seaphages.org also has papers that have been authored in part by SEA-PHAGES undergrads or faculty.

Finally, here are just a few direct suggestions that might be good for getting students' feet wet.

The secret lives of mycobacteriophages. (Review article.)

Evolutionary relationships among diverse bacteriophages and prophages: all the world's a phage.

Imbroglios of viral taxonomy: genetic exchange and failings of phenetic approaches

–Dan
Edited 01 Sep, 2015 16:20
| posted 01 Sep, 2015 16:56
Thank you so much!
| posted 02 Sep, 2015 15:55
Is there any way someone might be able to send me a pdf of "The secret lives of mycobacteriophages"?? I cant seem to access it through our or Wayne State's library system. Thanks!
| posted 02 Sep, 2015 21:09
sbconant
Is there any way someone might be able to send me a pdf of "The secret lives of mycobacteriophages"?? I cant seem to access it through our or Wayne State's library system. Thanks!

Hi Stephanie,

As long as you're using it in line with the disclaimers on the first page, we should be fine sharing it with you (and others) directly.

Here it is!

–Dan
| posted 03 Sep, 2015 00:56
Yes of course, thank you!
Stephanie
| posted 20 Jun, 2023 19:25
This is a fun paper that I did in phage bioinformatics this year that my students enjoyed. We use code 11 (bacterial, archael and plant plastid code) for our annotations because TTG (UUG) and GTG (GUG)are used as start codons.

This paper demonstrates the some human microbiome phages use code 15. In code 15 TAG(UAG) is not used as a stop codon and instead will code for the amino acid Glutamine. I thought it was very relevant to what we were doing and shows how much "better" these genomes look after annotation when the proper code was used.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-022-32979-6

Login to post a reply.